Sunday, May 25, 2008

Re: [GENERAL] Copying data from a table to another database

Pedro Doria Meunier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is perhaps a very 'newbie' question but for the life of me, I can't
> see a way to do it without resorting to programming... (blush)

something like -

pg_dump --data-only --table=myoldhistorytable | psql -h x.x.x.x mynewdb


> The thing is:
> I have a table that acts as a historic for some devices activity.
> Now I've migrated the entire 'shebang' to another server and need to
> update the history table on the new server with data from the old server
> for every different record.

If I get that right the old server has some of the new data (or more
importantly - updates to rows that were transferred) since the transfer
started?

Your best bet would be to pg_dump the data then change the table name at
the start of the file to match a temp table name that can take the old
history and then insert/update from the temp table to the new server
history table.

> As the table on the new server grows exponentially (already nearing 1M
> records) I need to do this asap unless I want the entire thing to take
> forever... (sweat)
>
> Could someone please lend me a hand here?
>
> Already thankful for any insight,
>


--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz

--
Sent via pgsql-general mailing list (pgsql-general@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-general

No comments: