Saturday, May 31, 2008

Re: [HACKERS] Overhauling GUCS

On May 31, 2008, at 15:32, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>> 1. Most people have no idea how to set these.
>
> Could you clarify this? I can't really believe that people are
> incapable of
> editing a configuration file.

I've been using PostgreSQL on and off, mostly on, for almost 10 years.
I still have no idea what 75% of those settings in postgresql.conf
mean or are for. There are an overwhelming number of them. I know that
5-8 of them I always touch, thanks largely to assistance now and then
from Josh Berkus, but the rest are just complexity to me. I don't
doubt that the vast majority of them are useful in one situation or
another, but unless I'm in one of those situations, I really don't
need to see them there and be confused by them.

Does that help?

>> 2. The current postgresql.conf file is a huge mess of 194 options,
>> the
>> vast majority of which most users will never touch.
>
> My opinion has always been that we should provide a default file
> with only the
> essential options instead of all of them. I see this as a the major
> problem,
> because people are overwhelmed and consequently don't set anything.

+1

Best,

David

--
Sent via pgsql-hackers mailing list (pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org)
To make changes to your subscription:
http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-hackers

No comments: